Thursday 19 February 2009

Chill out

Apparently there's a debate going on in green circles about whether we need to use fridges. That got me thinking - I probably don't. I don't drink milk or other drinks which need refrigerating (though I do like cold beer), I like my cheese warm enough to taste, eggs don't need chilling, and my vegetables are fine on a rack. I don't buy meat very often and eat it on the same day if I do. 

That said, I'm a single gentleman who walks everywhere and has his veg delivered. Had I a family and the need to plan meals days in advance, a fridge or freezer may come in very handy indeed, and the energy I'd save from not owning a fridge is probably minimal compared to what I've saved through not driving etc etc. I think I'll celebrate by using some of my carbon credit to go whale-hunting by plane!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

take me whale-hunting, started buying ecover products in germany (apparently a big british brand offensive on the continent - u can get all sorts of things here now...) and need to even that out... driving to work and to the GYM isn't enough;)
F

neal said...

When I lived in Mexico I did without a fridge for 4 months, and it wasn't really a problem. Although we did have a large veg patch, chickens and a big shed full of rabbits to munch through. Can't get fresher than that. You can also make a big batch of stew or curry, keep it covered and re-heat it every day to kill the bacteria, didn't get sick once.

Good luck persuading everyone else though. Smart fridges are the way forward. They can respond to when there's excess energy in the grid and turn on during those times. This will fit in with a system containing more renewables.

Lauren said...

If the temperature is cold enough, stick your beer outside in the garden or something. Problem sorted. Nice cold beer! and the satisfaction of knowing you are doing something good for the environment.

The Plashing Vole said...

True - I do leave beer outside sometimes but the local foxes are getting handy with the old can-opener

Benjamin Judge said...

Aidan, have you noticed that when you talk about war or politics no one cares but start a debate about fridges and everyone has an opinion. It's a funny old world eh?

I will mention though that even if you don't refrigerate your purchases that doesn't mean they won't be refrigerated before you buy them. You could achieve better results by just not cooking your food.

The Plashing Vole said...

Actually Cynical, the only refrigerated food I buy is butter, which I don't put in the fridge. My veg are local and seasonal rather than air-freighted/chilled.

Yes, I have noticed the lack of interest in politics - but it interests me so the subject remains. You people need the education anyway.