Thursday 23 April 2009

Happy St. George's Day

to those of you from Georgia, Newfoundland, Germany, India, Catalunya, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Macedonia, many Palestinians, the Lebanon, and of course England (though the date varies in Orthodox countries because their calendar is different). The less religious celebrants in the West Midlands nominate it simply as BNP day, despite George being born in Turkey and dying in Palestine (if he existed).

Given the choice, I'd rather celebrate St. George in Catalunya, because the tradition is to give a woman a rose in return for a book: 'a rose for love and a book for ever' - slightly gloomy outlook but probably not wrong. Any takers? This is the reason why, as Henriette points out, today is UNESCO's International Day of the Book (and because Shakespeare and Cervantes allegedly died on April 23rd too).

5 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

And wasn't Shakespeare born on April 23rd as well, or I have just made that up?

PS I've tried about 6 times to read the excerpt from Thomas Carlyle for tomorrows test, and I'm still none the wiser. Many thanks to whoever selected that.

Benjamin. said...

Damn. I have not even started to comprend Alfred Lord Tennysons's work for our Literature examinations tomorrow.

As for Shakespeare you are right. Likewise, the idea of rose swapping for books is more pleasant then drinking until unable to bypass a kebab shop without purchasing something.

The Plashing Vole said...

If the legend's right, then WS was indeed born on April 23rd.

You'll manage with the Tennyson, Demented.

Benjamin. said...

I shall now that I have expressed in a threatening manner to all those to read my blog/article of Hearing Times.

If you do not, Ewarwoowar then I shall summon the least attractive person in University to embrass you publicly by merely refusing your rose exchange.

Ewarwoowar said...

The Vole would never refuse my rose exchange, Demon.

PS I have some staggeringly awful notes on "The Lady of Onion" on my blog, if you get incredibly desperate.