Tuesday 19 May 2009

The lonely suicide of education

I've just been to an open staff meeting with our esteemed Vice-Chancellor.

We are all going to be efficient. Centralisation will also be a feature of our institution. Efficiency will be centralised, and centralisation will be efficient. We will centralise efficiently, and we will be efficient because we will be centralised.

In the middle of all this rather retro management gobbledygook (it was like listening to an NHS manager appearing on Just A Minute), she sneaked in the death of the university. Obviously, she didn't phrase it like that. What she said was 'We are past the age, and past the ability, for staff to design small modules. What we will do is buy in course material from providers such as the OU or Pearson'.

So there you have it. We won't need PhDs or experts to teach courses. We'll just need people to switch on the computers, hand out the books and press play on the DVD machine. Obviously having people who've written books, revolutionised their field or conducted in-depth research is a drag on resources. Knowing stuff costs money. Employing monkeys to hand over shrink-wrapped courses designed somewhere else for profit is much easier. And of course, all students are the same and have exactly the same needs so we won't need to design courses by getting to know people, reading their work and adapting to their needs. (Meanwhile, they're telling us that we'll have more time for research. What the fuck for? Nobody will ever hear it).

It's also the end of critical thinking (educational values weren't mentioned once). We'll end up with Law, Business and apprenticeships, when what we need are humanities graduates and other critical thinkers who'll challenge this narrow, employer-fixated, managerial, imagination-free vision of education and life in general as a process of ramming individuals into complacent work-unit boxes. What's happening is exactly what Ritzer said would happen: courses like English, Cultural Studies, languages, history etc. will be taught at élite universities to élite kids who'll continue to run the world and never, ever, have to meet an oik from Wolverhampton in the corridors of power again. Our lot will learn to hold meetings, operate Powerpoint and do what they're told without question. Do we improve society by churning out obedient drones? No. We reify existing inequalities.

Do I sound angry? I know that underneath this mild exterior is a Stalinist waiting for his chance, but this is insanity. Educationalists (the Institute for Learning Enhancement, or the V-C's Gestapo, as nicknamed by a much more senior figure at my university) are actually, gleefully, joyfully, seriously doing their very best to remove the few remaining vestiges of humanist, Enlightenment values. They're like the Khmer Rouge, who were nominally communist but actually did all they could to destroy communist values. They're entryists, wreckers, anti-intellectuals, managers and technocrats hellbent on deifying 'efficiency', rationality and all the qualities Bauman said lead to Auschwitz. This is perhaps what makes me angriest of all. The people who are meant to be on our side are the destroyers. They have no faith in the power and purpose of education because they're rightwing loons obsessed with the appearance of authority. They despise the experts, those scruffy readers who spend their time thinking about stuff rather than buying Armani and finding ways to 'maximise income streams'.

They're cowards and they are traitors, and so are we for not standing up for the educational values we believe in. Students: do you want me to spend my time mechanically reading out a lecture prepared by some under-paid graduate in a Slough office and faxed to me that afternoon, or do you want me to spend years reading books, thinking about them, writing about them, then talking to you and listening to what you think? I know what I'd rather have.

I didn't go to Oxford or Cambridge. I went to a small, kindly, serious institution (Bangor University). It wasn't perfect, but there was no fudging about what constituted education. It wasn't the delivery of preconceived ideas. Education was a matter of thinking, arguing with, talking to and listening to academics who knew what they were on about, but who were also interested in how we saw the world. That's my bottom line, and it's how my colleagues here feel. I don't want to end up parrotting somebody else's line, then marking your work according to what a distant company thinks is a 'right' answer - we may as well deliver a degree by online surveys and e-mail.

Mind you, facsimile / fax-machine education is damn cheap.

Set reading for today: Ritzer's 'The Mcdonaldized University'.

8 comments:

The Bookworm Friend said...

Not laughing anymore.
So what are we going to do? Win the lottery and open a university for those who can't or don't eant to afford the private elitist Oxbridge shit? On the New Siberian Islands, to keep heated depates cool and the Vole happy?

The Plashing Vole said...

I intend to found the University of the Faroe Islands

Benjamin. said...

This angers me too, it'll be us students that lose out. It's exactly what has occured with regards to deaf education and overpaid hearing teachers which no empathy taking over classes.

I always wondered, whilst you were studying at Bangor did you anticapte you would become a University lecturer? Did you have doubts akin to the ones I have expressed in my blog?

http://dementedtales.blogspot.com/2009/05/thoughts-on-educational-stance-vs.html

The Plashing Vole said...

I've read your piece, and understand your dilemmas. I didn't really think about what I'd do afterwards. I had a vague idea that I'd end up doing a PGCE and teaching English in school,but didn't think I was good enough to even consider postgrad work - results day was a real shock. After that, an MA then PhD seemed like the natural, though intimidating, path. I'm not settled in academia yet though - my contract's very insecure.

Sir Mitchell of Cashmore said...

Absolutely shit news this is.

This is unfair on the students, on the lecturers or anybody associated with our uni. You and we have every right to be angry about this.

Which is a better way to learn, from as you said 'A underpaid graduate from Slough' or a 'Lecturer who has spent many years reading books, critically thinking and analysing these books to pass on knowledge to students' yes I add that little bit on the end but its right. I'd rather be taught by a lecturer who questions books/authority etc. etc. than some automated service.

Sad day indeed.

Blog, blog, bloggy, blog, blog said...

Good ol' Ritzer and McDonaldization. I'll have a media degree to go please. And I think I'll have a chocolate milkshake...no... a diet coke with that.

How much? I'm not paying that! I'll drop the degree and just have the drink instead.

The Vole Friend said...

Even a diet coke is less depressing than universities that function on such a basis.
But the good news is: we are not there yet. We still got proper universities. Well, some. (Oxford is not what I have in mind here. Absolutely not!) And maybe things will turn out different from what we fear now.

Matt said...

Why stop at an underpaid grad from Slough?

McEducation for the masses...