Thursday 25 June 2009

Everything you know is wrong. Discuss.

Maurice Charlesworth was my philosophy lecturer at Bangor University. He was, to me at least, something of a legend. He came to work dressed in a brown suit with brown shirt, tie, socks, shoes and briefcase. He was perhaps the world's only Tasmanian nationalist, had a dry and cruel sense of humour which he directed particularly towards the Christian section of the student body, and told us that he took a few minutes during his wedding reception to prove the non-existence of God to his new mother-in-law. He also dealt with people signing in as Donald Duck by undertaking graphological analysis of the entire class. His favourite illustration of the degenerate nature of our times was to remind us that whereas he used to employ a psychologist in his philosophy department, he was now the philosopher in the psychology department.

All this is tangential, however. The abiding memory I have of Maurice is his mantra that a class has failed if the participants think they understand what's just happened, and that the world is just as they thought. He always managed to leave me exhilarated, confused and inspired - the mark of a great teacher, I think. Every session left us drunk with intellectual curiosity and wonder.

Maurice's philosophy colleague, Ed Ingram, was equally bizarre and brilliant, though totally contrasting. Ed wore shorts and vomit-inducing Hawaiian shirts. He clearly had an absolutely brilliant time in the 60s or 70s, and had barely recovered. He was a former computer programmer who handled all the science-related philosophy with amazing precision and joy. We'd turn up, have our heads completely messed up by quantum physics and the like, then go for a soothing drink. We'd then meet Ed in the street and he'd ask us things like where he lived, or what day it was. Between them and Tony Brown, my learned, kind and wise English tutor, these people made teaching a potential avenue for me - shame the only quality I share with them is a gift for sarcasm…

3 comments:

Benjamin. said...

You do amuse me, Vole. I happen to think you are a learned, kind and wise English tutor too and if I wanted to be inspired by quantum physics then I would of told God at the time of my creation. I'm sure others agree with me too.

Anonymous said...

I too had the pleasure of being taught by Maurice Charlesworth at Bangor from 1992 to 1995. Unfortunately the critical thinking he encouraged in his students is out of tune with the 'degenerate times we live in', what with most students just wanting 'good jobs' and employers simply wanting unthinking corporate clones who are well educated enough to effectively generate profits for them without ever 'rocking the boat'.

Symptomatic of this is the route the psychology department at Bangor took soon after I left, with much of the industry-funded research seemingly focusing on such weighty topics such as to how to sell garbage (for some reason 'Sunny Delight' comes to mind) to consumers.

I could recount many anecdotes relating to the teaching style of Maurice, but one will have to suffice. Maurice had been going through an introduction to epistemology when he asked the class for comments. One pupil, keener to impress his fellow students than add to the debate, tried to counter what Maurice had said. In response Maurice absolutely demolished the counter argument that was put before him, which given its weakness was not a difficult thing to do. Maurice then looked over the top of his reading glasses, his eyes twinkling and said 'Anyone else'? Of course, there wasn't and only a few of the students seemed to cotton on to the mischievous sense of humour that was at work.

A great teacher, they don't make them like Maurice Charlesworth any more.

Unknown said...

Many years ago I had the misfortune to endure the turgid out pourings of this man who I found to be humourless,irrasible, petty minded and altogether uninspiring. Delighted when I saw the last of him!