Thursday 25 June 2009

Where have all the nerds gone?

Turns out I'm late to the party. I've been blogging for about 9 months - just when everybody else is giving up, or at least very rarely posting, according to this Guardian article and the New York Times, which noted that only 7.5m of the 133m Technorati tracked were updated within 120 days. Apparently everybody's Tweeting or Facebooking.

Which is odd: both those outlets are more about social contact than content - I'd have thought there'd be room for both, unless Twitter/Facebook fans have nothing to say and the good grace not to say it at length on a blog. Don't worry though - I'm going nowhere. Either I drone on here or send my colleagues mad…

I'm off to Fleet Foxes tonight - will be intriguing to see what they're like live, as I think they're good but too tame on record.

5 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

I like Facebook, that's how I keep in touch with my family abroad. But I refuse to do Twitter, I just don't get it.

Fleet Foxes???? I am so jealous! If they play "Textbook Love" you are allowed to think of the coolest Chilean chick you know -that's my song!

Lou said...

I agree with SCW, Facebook is great for sharing photos, keeping in touch etc but twitter is one major PITA - I tried it for about 5 minutes and then got the hell out - life is hard enough without having the minutiae of others lives thrust upon you. My own minutiae is hard enough to deal with.

Zoot Horn said...

Fleet Foxes. Nice, very like CSN&Y, but lacking the geetar talent I would say. Stephen Stills might be an old guy with prostate trouble now, but he once was (and still is for all I know)a marvellous guitar player (J. Hendrix said he was his favourite) and I still love him. That's the trouble with being this old: all the antique music is best, sliced bread doesn't taste the same any more, the snow is crap, I will definitely never ask that woman out who works in Woolworths, and all my old heroes are suffering from the diseases that killed my grandad. Where are the snows of yesteryear eh?
And bottled water - what the fuck's that all about?

Sue said...

Ignore the Guardian article, and carry on blogging.
The bloggers that have defected to the shallow optons of facebook and twitter have no stamina, and are not real hardcore nerds.

The Plashing Vole said...

I can see the point of Facebook for all my overseas students: it's a point of contact rather than a sustained endeavour, a note on the fridge door rather than a letter, but I just don't need that kind of contact: I see my close friends most days and the distant ones don't need to know the minutiae of my life to remain friends.

As to Twitter, I can see its usefulness as an emergency alert service: Iran has been a great example, but again, my opinions and life are both too boring and complex to justify sending out updates to other people.