Tuesday 21 July 2009

'Artless git

Now that my debit card's gone, I keep seeing things I'd like to purchase. Oh well, it's good for what passes for my soul, and as one of you pointed out, I can catch up on the books I've bought. I've almost finished the Eric Gill, so perhaps something lighter and fictional next - though I really want to buy some (of the more demure) Gill prints now, despite having no wall space.

My collection of framed prints and posters are in the office. I have the Reds exhibition poster (a historical one on the Communist Party of Great Britain, staged at the People's History Museum in Manchester), a Tree of Literature in Danish, 6 CND reprints of their early posters, a brilliant dayglo 1970s poster of Angela Davies, a limited print of David Jones's Cara Wallia Derelicta (Gwalia Deserta) and a stunning batique of a yacht in the rain, done by Bev, my old fencing coach. I remember a patronising academic telling us penniless postgrads that we should be investing in prints and we all laughed at the idea of having money for art… I'm also really keen on Clifford Harper's work - emotion beautifully muted.

5 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

I'm starting to feel glad that you've always been out whenever I've popped up to your office to see you.

Communists? CND? Welsh things? YACHTS?! It would make me sick.

(Only joking, I don't mind yachts, really)

Zoot Horn said...

I've got a few beautiful 1960s posters. Trouble is, my partner hates them, and the house is wrong for them. An exploding Hendrix poster looks wrong with artexed ceilings and curtain pelmets. I'm sticking to my guns though.

Benjamin Judge said...

While you can't buy any books this might keep you busy for a while

http://twitter.com/RealDMitchell

Seems your alter ego doesn't agree with you on everything eh?

The Plashing Vole said...

I didn't see anything to disagree with though yes, his use of Twitter is disturbing. I suspect his agent.

Benjamin Judge said...

You might like this too

http://twitter.com/reallybigcheese