Friday 10 July 2009

Mid-July Friday conundrum

What have you submitted to from politeness or for a quiet life?

Being a humble chap, I've often done the decent thing to avoid offence, but one occasion sticks in the mind (and gullet). I hate fish, gooseberries and raspberries. They all make me gag. When I was a young postgraduate, I was invited, with a young lady, to dinner at my favourite professor's home. Every course (I can't remember the starter), was something I absolutely hated. Not just disliked, but utterly hated. There was no way I was going to offend these lovely people, so I got on with it, and even said yes whenever seconds were offered. Meanwhile, said young lady giggled continuously, nudged me, and made unsubtle hints all the way through. I can't even think of that meal without shuddering - which makes me feel very guilty because apart from the food (which was beautifully cooked if you like that sort of thing), it was one of the high points of my social life so far…

So come on, what have you done to smooth the path?

Meanwhile, here's Cynical Ben. I must point out that I'm not teasing him with this photo: I just like the effect of the light.


14 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Easy one that - I get at least one terrible, terrible gift every Xmas, and just smile and trot out the old "I love it, thanks".

PS. Vole, I'm thinking of emailing you with something that isn't uni related - am I okay to send it to your uni email address? Ta.

The Plashing Vole said...

We all do that!
Yes, mail me.

Kate said...

If I talk about things I've done for a quiet life I'll be here all day, but in terms of politeness, I have displayed culinary stoicism similar to yours. When I used to do international relations work we took a delegation from China to Chinatown near Leicester Square, there was a bounteous array of food on offer, and I dived in to what I thought was a lovely, crunchy whole water chestnut, only to discover it was a scallop. I find the smell, texture and taste of seafood deeply nauseating, but I had to smile politely and gulp it down so as not to offend our manners obsessed guests. Like you the memories still haunt me.

Anonymous said...

Pretended I liked girls

Dan said...

Well. I think what Ben was trying to say was - If you're going to supposedly not mock something of mine that's big whilst taking a photo of it "because of the light", then why not take a photo of the ethereal light show that shines through my enormous love rod.

Benjamin Judge said...

Valid as that point is (no pun intended) I'm not sure it was exactly what I was trying to say. I was thinking more about the effects of cyber-bullying (no pun intended)

Stuart Murdoch said...

When I am sex-hammering Isobel Campbell I like it when it comes out her nose. Maybe I sex-hammer you some time. You like.

neal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stuart Murdoch said...

After Isobel left the band - for reasons I still can't fathom - I found a new 'muse' in the form of TracyAnn from Camera Obscura. I received a good 'Lanarkshire lapping', and my 'genuis juice' went right in her eyes. That obscured her fucking camera.

The Plashing Vole said...

Yeah, Too fuckin right

Rosetta Hampshire said...

Boys, boys. Can't we all just get along?

I'm afraid Vole that your fellow map friends may have been a little tipsy last night.

Ewarwoowar said...

I am literally speechless. I'm just going to inch away quietly, and pretend I was never here...

Lou said...

Ditto that last comment - way out of my field of expertise.

The Plashing Vole said...

You are all bad boys. You even used my username to put words into my mouth. The things with which you've associated my indie heroines horrify me. Romance = a shared pot of mint tea and perhaps and affectionate handshake. That is sufficient.

Cynical - I've never thought your ears stick out and I'm really sorry to upset you.