Monday 16 November 2009

Stoke and Culture… in the same sentence

Last night's Radio 4 Pick of the Week was hosted by a Potter and featured a show about the potential revival of the pottery industry - and mentioned oatcakes. Added to this, I spent half an hour at Stoke station on Saturday, and I'm feeling nostalgic. Stoke-on-Trent has a bad reputation for being an ugly, unemployed, fascist-infested hope-sink. A largely deserved reputation, though I would balance those with: Primitive Methodism, formerly strong trades unionism, beautiful ceramics, Arnold Bennett, Mrs. Craik (another Stoke-Irish oddity), Slash, Lemmy, Nick Hancock, Stanley Matthews, Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton, embarrassing Tory DJ Bruno Brookes, embarrassing TV presenter (and Brookes ex) Anthea Turner and Stoke City.

Regeneration is largely on hold, but Anita, who has emigrated from Dublin to Stoke (no, me neither) has plunged into Stoke's cultural renaissance, and draws my attention to the British Ceramics Biennial. You've only until 29th November to see it though.

9 comments:

Benjamin Judge said...

Nice piece. Although shouldn't Nick Hancock be in the cons?

Benjamin Judge said...

Also, Peter Shilton? A bit tenuous. A bit like me claiming Merson for Walsall.

Benjamin Judge said...

I've always had a soft spot for Stoke. It is just a shame about those bloody oatcakes that everyone has to pretend they like.

The Plashing Vole said...

Some of the list was tongue in cheek. Bruno Brookes?

Benjamin. said...

Indeed it was, Vole. What shall you shine your positivity on next? The merits of watching ITV's 'I'm a Celebrity' and eating Wispa bars whilst on a treadmill? The fact is whenever I pass Stoke via the train, I feel I’ve gone back 20 years and the lady in-habitants are less than desirable (the all important hot women factor that accounts for every city and town so far Liverpool and London are leading the way).

Perhaps I should mention that my homely village in Yorkshire is the birthplace of snobbery.

Anonymous said...

you forgot Robbie WIlliams! I went to the BCB - to the Roslyn works last week to see the indian pots. Was great and a v good tour guide Dave as well.

Benjamin Judge said...

Liverpool!!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA HA.

The Plashing Vole said...

I've never been to Liverpool, so I've no comment to make on that one.

As well as Robbie, I forgot Dave Harold, Eric Bristow and Phil 'the Power' Taylor. Proper sports…

Jase said...

Well, I'm a fan of the old place.

Despite finding myself in the 'things aren't as good as they used to be' camp now, the place is still pretty friendly too.