Monday 9 November 2009

Us 10-Them 0, pointlessly

Rounds of applause for coherent, intellectually well-founded comments from the staff: lots.
Rounds of applause for management - nil.

No doubt both sides (and it's very sad that we're on sides) left the room muttering that the other lot are pigheaded, recalcitrant bastards, but we're right. I made a point, and a lot of other people made detailed, precise and relevant comments which won't make the slightest bit of difference, but at least they know how strongly we all feel. Not a single comment made was supportive of what's being done to us and the students.

A good debate ensued about what 'consultation' means. As far as I can tell, we mean 'a process in which changes are made by discussing and designing them through dialogue between interested parties'. From what they said, it means 'we'll decide stuff (vaguely) and then tell you to do it'.

Oh yes, the bosses were upset by the suggestion that students might not like the changes. Apparently, none of you should know anything about it. I wonder when you will be officially informed, as many of you will be taking modules next year and it's a completely different system.

Anyway, it won't make any difference. The decisions are made - these meetings are useful only because we can let off steam.

1 comment:

Benjamin. said...

Jesus Christ, do they really think that little of the students thus the usual hyperbolic ill-informed bile. Surely the points made by your fellow employees are accounted for after the meeting with every voice heard recalled. If they change the module layout now, it’ll be bear considerable stress on the over-worked lecturers and students alike. Would we be able to protest against any changes?

I remember saying to you as I walked into the Shakespearian lecture last week with a great smile etched across my face "Still here then" yet I'm not 100 per cent I shall be here next year which is tragic considering how settled I've become for the first time in my educational life which has allowed my ambitions to florish outside of the University too.

And I'm sure many others feel the same too.