Wednesday 16 December 2009

Grouch

What a rotten day it's been. I'm tired, grouchy and deaf. I should have been sparkling before an invited audience of sixth-formers gathered for a conference, or at least acting as Zoot Horn's lovely assistant, but instead I sat in a walk-in health centre (yet again, three cheers for the NHS) and then spent the day frantically trying to organise things for the fencing competition I'm taking a team to at the weekend. If I'd been OK, I'd have been discussing James Joyce, Heaney, Betjeman, Langston Hughes, St. Vincent Millay and Armitage - all my favourites. I feel genuinely bad about not pulling my weight.

Do I go home and mark essays, or go to the English department Christmas dinner, even though I can't hear anything?

Meanwhile, Mark, Neal and others are having fun at this wonderful event, populated by all my favourite people:

2 comments:

Benjamin. said...

Welcome to my dark world, I think you should attend the dinner and hope nobody speaks in a dull low tone of voice that leads to over-thinking and capitulation of enjoyment as one cannot fathom what has being said. And that's never a good thing but neither however, is marking essays (unless they are mine which promises an intriguing read if not structurally hurried.)

I didn’t realize you’d be in your office last week as I’d dropped by to chat but perhaps I could come soon armed with hearing aids for us both to try out! I'd walk in, open palm and declare 'Merry Christmas, Vole!'

Lou said...

Get well soon.