Monday 15 February 2010

Holy (rock and) rollers

Why they've done it, I have no idea. But the Vatican, in the form of L'Osservatore Romano, its newspaper, has seen fit to issue a list of Top Albums. It's a bit embarrassing really - haven't they got better things to do? So here it is:


1. Revolver by the Beatles
3. The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
4. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
5. The Nightfly by Donald Fagen
6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
7. Graceland by Paul Simon
8. Achtung Baby by U2
10. Supernatural by Carlos Santana


What do you think? Mostly MOR rubbish? I can't see much of a link other than it's 70s rock and that genre's spawn - too young for the Pope and too old for the rest of us. Though perhaps 2 is a reference to His Holiness's age and 6/7 hints at recent Irish Catholic sex scandals. Morning Glory is of course another sexual reference…

My top religious themed pop hits (and misses):
Idols - Altered Images
Something to Believe In - The Bangles
Maroon Bible - Beulah
Faith/Void - Bill Callahan (Chorus - 'It's time to put God away).
No Sects Please, We're British - The Bitter Springs
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - The Cardigans
Jesus Spaceman - Catchers
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
My Angel Rocks Back and Forth - Four Tet
Hindoo Man - George Formby
Pam fi Duw? - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Palm Sunday - Go-Betweens
Not Even Jesus - Gold Blade
Christian Girls - Hefner
Sense of Guilt - Josef K
We Will Rise Again - Juliana Hatfield
By My Angel - Mazzy Star
Should The Bible Be Banned? - McCarthy
Mogwai Fear Satan - Mogwai
True Faith (or Ceremony) - New Order
Incense - Picture Center
In Heaven - Pixies
You Are The Way - Primitives
Every Night I'm Mentally Crucified - Prolapse
Sunday Girl - Richard James
The Evangelist - Robert Forster
Faith - Shack
J's Heaven - Slowdive
Barrabas! - SMASH
Catholic Education - Teenage Fanclub
I Saw The Light - The The
I Think We're Alone (Now) - Tiffany… er, maybe. I like it anyway.
Confessions - Violent Femmes.
Pilgrim Hold Your Lamp Up High - Brave Captain
Exorcisto - Girls vs Boys
Holy Are You - The Electric Prunes
Space Spiritual - Axelrod / Nat Adderley

6 comments:

Imaginary Friend said...

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now- The Smiths
God!Show Me Magic- Super Furry Animals
Near Wild Heaven- REM
Neon Bible- Arcade Fire
Losing My Religion- REM

....Tiffany???? Though I sadly have to admit to owning a copy of Tiffany's album when I was 10. That shows my age.

Graham Quirk said...

It's very strange that they would publish a top ten album list at all, but to have 'If only I could remember my name' at number 2 is even weirder. Not that it doesn't deserve it; it's a great record. I just can't imagine the themes that it explores sitting too well with the Catholic hierarchy.

other songs:
Time to Pretend - MGMT
Lies - Fleetwood Mac
Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode (ok, i know it's an album)

Ben said...

Yeah Tiffany, but perhaps the Rubinoos version is better.

also

Sneaky Jesus: Chuck E. Weiss
God's Cop: Happy Mondays
The Host, The Ghost Most Holy-o: Captain Beefheart
tremor christ: Pearl Jam
Phone Booth in Heaven: Jim White
Church of the KLF: KLF

etc...

The Plashing Vole said...

Excellent suggestions. Sneaky Jesus is a great track. I don't know the Jim White.

I stand by I Think We're Alone Now. We play it in my office at the end of a tough week. That, and Van Halen's 'Jump'.

Zoot Horn said...

I agree with Graham that If I Could Only Remember My Name is a great album, but a grotesquely strange choice unless the pope was an acid head. If you want to hear a beautiful piece of religious music try Dark Was the Night-Cold Was the Ground, recorded by Blind Willie Johnson in 1927. It's just a slide guitar solo with some humming and a wail or two, but it's a shot of true religion sho nuff.

kajvhag said...

ROFL at Morning Glory - are they serious? do you think they mixed it up with Morning Has Broken?