Tuesday 23 February 2010

The short arm of the law

I spent the day in court.

Actually, I didn't. I spent the day in a waiting room. The poor architecture, institutionally-uncomfortable furniture, broken (and expensive) drinks machines and the being bossed about by patrician types with loud voices and sealed ears reminded me of work…

This case started in October 2008. It should have been fairly simple. Man threatens women with knife. I step in, we have a discussion (him: I want to stab you. Me: I'd rather you didn't stab anyone if that's OK with you), he runs off. The police stop him later, he still has the knife. He's already on bail for similar offences. Did he do it? Yes, he very much did.

Six months later, he's found guilty on the minor charges, imprisoned for 12 weeks. Then they keep him in pending the Crown Court charges. Cue two postponements and finally a day in court - miles from anywhere. We sit in another awful room for 6 hours until he sacks his lawyers. A whole day and thousands of pounds wasted (judge, lawyers, jury, court officials, translators for almost everyone). Another six months passes and it's scheduled for Wolverhampton. Then it's moved to Coventry 18 hours before.

What happens this time? We wait around for hours. Then he sacks his lawyers. He plans to defend himself. The judge (thankfully) refuses, as this would entail cross-examining his victim, who has already been given a screen for her safety. Then the prosecution, damn them, propose a solution: bind him over to keep the peace for two years and remind him that he is under a restraining order relating to the lady (they live only a few streets away and have nothing linking them except that he wants to hurt her).

OK, you might think, that sounds reasonable. I don't. People who attack other people with knives are, I'm guessing, mentally ill or at least irrational. Signing a piece of paper will make absolutely no difference.

On prison matters, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. I don't think that prison works. I think they should be the last resort, used only to hold people who are dangerous to society: most murderers, rapists, Bertie Ahern and, frankly, people like this guy. A secure mental hospital is perhaps the best place for him. What happened today was a grubby little deal to end an annoying case which clogged up their clearance rates. I wouldn't be surprised if it all starts again.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Sounds all too familiar...

As a teenager, my friend and I were attcked by a man whilst walking home in the dark. He tackled us to the floor and then proceeded to expose himself and inform us that if we didnt lie still he'd leave us with more than surface wounds. He eventually fled realising that the simultaneous rape of two screaming girls was a little ambitious. We attended an ID parade but given his stereotypical appearance (puffer jacket, beanie hat and glasses) it was impossible to single him out. In total (as far as I am aware) we were 2 of aprroximately 20 women who were assaulted, sexually assaulted or stabbed! Many years later, an appeal on Crime Watch featured a man of the same description operating in the exact same area of Birmingham...

Petty thieves, benefit fraudsters and parents whose children truant from school should not be given custodial sentences, scumbags like him should get life.

The Plashing Vole said...

Oh Sam, that is awful. I used to be shocked by the number of women I know who've been sexually asaulted - I'm no longer surprised, just very depressed. Virtually none of them bothered with the police either, unsurprisingly given the conviction rates.

When She's Good... said...

It's a great shame that more people like you don't step in Vole - we were extremely lucky to get away with just a few bruises. Have you heard about the 'revenge' rape that is considered an adequate punishment for gang member's girlfriends in London? It makes me sick...