Tuesday 16 March 2010

The musical odyssey continues

I'll do multiple albums by the same group in one go, or we'll be here until I retire.

Today is Aimee Mann, and her three albums Bachelor No. 2, Lost in Space and Whatever. She's released more albums I haven't got, which is odd as I'm quite a completist in these things, but somehow I feel like this is enough.

I have a huge soft spot for female guitarists/vocalists, from Anjali's space pop to Riot Grrrl like Huggy Bear. Mann's more of a singer-songwriter with a harder indie edge, and thoughtful, arresting lyrics. To be honest, I wouldn't take Aimee Mann's CDs to my desert island, but there's a place for tuneful, interesting songs - sometimes I suddenly recall a line or two and have to play all her stuff in one go.

Here's 'Pavlov's Bell' and 'How Am I Different?'




No comments: