Thursday 15 April 2010

David Calcutt: an apology

OK, before my colleagues and friends point this out, it's true that I dozed off during David's presentation, allegedly for ten minutes, until Gabi poked me because I started to snore.

I was tired. I'd done my own complex presentation earlier, and lots of other work. I did really enjoy the readings and discussion, but the lights were low and he has a very soothing voice. He was kind enough to claim that he thought I was concentrating hard… I'll have to buy his books in recompense.

The lecture was like a gathering of Yam-Yam authors: Calcutt, Paul MacDonald and Alan Apperley in the same room - a super-group! Only Jerome K Jerome was missing (because he's dead). Don't cross the streams, boys.

Actually, Calcutt, MacDonald and Apperley demonstrate one thing: along with several of my other colleagues now teaching brilliantly and writing astounding books, they're all products of adult education, having left school young and taken jobs in factories and the like. Further education works (shame it's being slowly abolished).

No comments: