Friday 23 April 2010

On this day…

Shakespeare was allegedly born today, and died on this date. So did several other of my favourite authors: Michael Moore the rabblerouser, Paul McAuley, the speculative fiction writer (it's what we academics call science fiction to defend ourselves against accusations of geekiness), talented paedophile Vladimir Nabokov


Joining Shakespeare in their graves on this date were Cervantes, Jules Verne and Wordsworth


Here's Sonnet 71 by Shakespeare.



No longer mourn for me when I am dead
Then you shall hear the surly sullen bell
Give warning to the world that I am fled
From this vile world, with vilest worms to dwell:
Nay, if you read this line, remember not
The hand that writ it; for I love you so
That I in your sweet thoughts would be forgot
If thinking on me then should make you woe.
O, if, I say, you look upon this verse
When I perhaps compounded am with clay,
Do not so much as my poor name rehearse.
But let your love even with my life decay,
Lest the wise world should look into your moan
And mock you with me after I am gone.

3 comments:

intelliwench said...

I don't mean to be obnoxiously self-promoting, but guess who else has a birthday today? I thought it was pretty cool some time ago when I learned I shared the date with Billy the Bard and Vladimir the Perv (oh, but all pervs should be so articulate -- in their second tongue!)....*sigh*

Sam said...

Speaking of departure...my lip quiverred slightly this week upon reading 'O you could not know/ That such swift fleeting...Not even I - would undo me so!' (and there's nothing wrong with being a geek)

Sam - who clearly can't spell! said...

aaarrggh..*quivered