Wednesday 7 April 2010

Beer, eh?

Very stimulating morning - the plenary in particular was interesting because it discussed empirical research in literary studies (like the Book Award paper I attended yesterday). I'd love to study book groups, but fear I wouldn't be professional enough to keep my big sarcastic mouth shut if confronted with some egregious misreading. Though in my professional life, I habitually employ phrases such as 'an innovative reading', 'you could read it that way, but what about…?' and 'perhaps, but could it also be…?' rather than 'Er…no. No way. What's going on in your head? Can you even read?', which isn't seen as particularly constructive.

OK, now the delicious buffet is over, it's off to papers on nation narratives and archive work. The alternative is a history panel including a paper on Canada and Beer. It'll possible touch on this:




which inspired this Quebeçois satire:


No comments: