Thursday 6 May 2010

Music Mania

Today's number: Bat For Lashes's Fur and Gold. Er… I confess to being fooled by marketing dressed up as music journalism on this one. I used to buy NME every week and spend liberally on whatever they claimed was the great new thing. After a few years, I realised that they were mostly talking utter bollocks and became a bit more wary.

However, Bat for Lashes seemed to get rave reviews from everybody so I bought a copy. I played it. I played it again. I put it away for a few weeks because sometimes an initial listening just doesn't work, whereas a piece might sound brilliant given some time. Not on this occasion. I admit defeat. I'm not cool. Bat for Lashes sounds like a teenager's parody of KAte Bush, about whom I'm largely neutral-to-admiring.

No comments: