Thursday 17 June 2010

Sink or swim?

The answer, according to David Cameron, is sink:

Another cut worth noting is free swimming for those aged under 16 and over 60, which sits oddly with the public health agenda, and the efforts to encourage more people to get active in the run up to the Olympics.
Free swimming programmes will end this summer.

I don't know whether this scheme encouraged more people to swim, or simply paid for those who would already have swum. Cutting it seems a bit petty though - fit people cost the NHS less, which why you should all stop smoking.

I took up swimming because I was a fat bastard. It's cheap with my monthly payment of £12 for unlimited swimming, against £3.60 per visit at full price. Now I'm merely a portly bastard and once my sunburn goes, I'll once again be a portly-becoming-sylphlike bastard.



Of course, some Tory MPs charged the taxpayer to clean their private pools, so I'm surprised that they don't see why anyone else should benefit from Government subsidy.

1 comment:

Christine said...

It is a very good agenda. Swimming is very necessary for healthy body and sound mind. It is a great fun as well as a good exercise.