Tuesday 8 June 2010

Suck My Left One!

I've been listening to The Drums' eponymous new album today. I thought I'd like it because all the reviews say that it's in thrall to C86 and in particular the wonderful The Field Mice.



Er… no. It's so derivative and vacuous that it resembles nothing so much as a sustained bout of necrophilia. Truly, all style and no substance.

So I'll cleanse my palate with the next band in my trawl through the hard drive. It's a doozy. Prepare your ears for Bikini Kill's Pussy-Whipped and The Singles (I have everything else on vinyl). It's Riot Grrrl: punk, metal and indie unite in a blaze of righteous fury and I love it. The first track, Double Dare Ya is kind of the Riot Grrl manifesto.









Happy days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't beat 'Demirep' Vole!

Benjamin Judge said...

They don't really sound like the Fieldmice, at least not on this song, which sounds more like something New Order worked on for half an hour and then abandoned.

Having said that, can I have your album if you don't want it? I'd like to have a listen.

Graham Quirk said...

well, i suppose at least they're having a go. I would have to agree it's a triumph of style over substance though. Music has gone bloody mental lately.
After returning from a weekend in Ibiza and the delights of one of its super clubs, i have temporarily renounced my love of all things guitary, and plan to become a louche hippy DJ. This will last approximately one week when i will recommence listening to Television records again.

The Plashing Vole said...

Graham, very disappointed. Are you about to claim that there's always been a dance element to your music?

Artog: yes, wish I'd put Demirep up. So good.

Ben: lots of Field Mice was New Order-y: they were always interested in electronics and dance elements. I'll do you a copy - I bought The Drums online.