Friday 16 July 2010

Postman Pat had a great birthday

Specifically, my birthday: having dealt with several puzzled phone calls from friends and relatives (mother, sister, possibly even my father, who knows?), it turns out that every card and present sent to my home address has been intercepted, presumably by a Mail employee.

Apart from being annoyed, I'm disappointed. I'm a huge fan of the state postal system, and of the Communication Workers Union. Postmen and women have been treated appallingly by every government in living memory - underpaid, overworked, exploited and bullied. So, even though it's totally impersonal, I feel more hurt by this theft because a strong relationship (which existed only in my head) has been abused. I hope whoever nicked my stuff wasn't a union member.

No comments: