Thursday 16 September 2010

All dressed up and nowhere to go

I went fencing last night, for the first time in ages. As a consequence, my hamstrings are screaming like pigs in an abattoir. It was great to get back there though - a whole new bunch of people have turned up since I last went, many of them better fencers than I am, so the humiliation just about balanced the chance to learn new things. Suddenly I've been dragooned into another competition and more refereeing big events. I really must learn to say no!

So I got home sometime past 11 last night, exhausted and desperate for sleep. But no - the nightclub across the road has steadily ramped up the noise over the past few months, and last night reached a crescendo such that I could hear every moronic word of every moronic song. Add to that the fighting outside and the howl of sirens and I wasn't a happy bunny. How I looked forward to 4.30 a.m., when the place closes. Blissful silence beckoned.

Except that it didn't: the bloody place's burglar alarm wailed until 6.30 a.m. I'm not, as you may imagine, a happy bunny. I got to work suited up for a serious meeting representing a union colleague, only to find that she's cancelled…

As to the rest of the day - admin, admin, admin. But then tonight I'm off to hear Mahler's 8th at Symphony Hall. He's not my favourite composer, but I'm in the mood for something mighty and tempestuous. Could be worse - at least I'm not going to a cricket-set version of Gilbert and Sullivan's light operetta The Mikado! The horror, the horror!

1 comment:

neal said...

Hold on, I thought we were going to the Victoria. Are you going to do both?