Tuesday 14 September 2010

Meet the new breed

I'm in our first meeting with the new English degree kids. As usual, overwhelmingly female but much more teenage than previously - the mature students are notably absent.

So far they seem bright and friendly - they even managed to laugh at some of my puns, which was very kind to an old man. We're finishing with a balloon debate - what text/film/book would you preserve in an authoritarian state? So far the choices are Shakespeare, Lord of the Flies, Harry Potter, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, The Godfather, 1984, Animal Farm, Some are classic school curriculum choices, others are 'classics', yet others quite unexpected.

Unfortunately, someone wants to preserve Queen's Greatest Hits.

3 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

The Godfather, OBVIOUSLY. Provided you also include Part 2, but absolutely not Part 3.

Overwhelmingly female eh, Voley? Half the time I think you say these things to make old pervs like me excited.

The Plashing Vole said...

Oh Ewar… It's just the way Humanities are going. There were 93 females on my own BA and 7 men. Did I date any of them?
No. No I didn't.

Dan said...

1984 so when I take the state down I can hold it aloft in the air, have a black and white photo taken of me then allowing me to be printed on t-shirts worn by people who don't understand the significance of what they're wearing.

Apart from that the correct answer is Jesus' Son - Dennis Johnson.