Wednesday 6 July 2011

Books that come in pairs

I've just received the wonderful Helen Walsh's new book, Go To Sleep. The cover blurb reads:
Devastatingly honest and shockingly painful at times, Go To Sleep is a heart-wrenching story about one woman and her newborn child. It strips motherhood bare in the most unforgettable of ways. 
Oddly, there's another book out, called Go The F*ck To Sleep (not my censorship) by Richard Cortes. It's similarly about a crazed, sleep-deprived parent trying to cope with a babe which won't ever sleep.

And no, I didn't buy the former thinking it was the latter. I really enjoyed Walsh's Brass. I'm not a parent as far as I know (joking, mother), but I recognise a distinctive voice when I hear one. Though Go The F*ck To Sleep is something I regularly shout at my next-door neighbour and the noisy bastards who use my building as a rendezvous for knife-fights and intoxicated domestic arguments.

Here are the rather contrasting styles of the books: readings by Walsh and Samuel Jackson respectively:



No comments: