Monday 5 December 2011

Trouble in Paradise

There's a by-election in Feltham and Heston, a political fact which normally wouldn't detain even a nerd like me for a moment, were it not for this glorious little spat.

According to the Conservative Party,
We are fighting hard across the constituency and receiving a very positive feedback on the doorstep. There’s all to play for.
Of course there is (by which I mean that the Tories are going to lose very badly indeed). The fun is that some naughty Tory has leaked a rather bitter and angry exchange of emails between two Tory MP's running the campaign. You can read the whole thing here, but these are some choice extracts:
Michael Fabricant (campaign organiser begging MPs' staff to help out:
We are asking every MP to donate 3 x half-days to this Campaign. If you haven’t already done so, please make sure he or she does so!! …you will be included in all the Bulletins sent to MPs so they have no excuse when they ‘accidentally’ delete my important messages!
Bob Stewart (aggrieved MP who turned up to do some canvassing):
Who the hell do you think you are? I am furious.  
The vast majority of people were out and those that were in wouldn’t open the door. I don’t blame them for that. As I was canvassing there was a drugs raid and the UK Border Agency were doing a simultaneous operation. We probably looked like people from the Social Services, Police, Special Branch or UK Border Agency. There is absolutely no chance of us winning there. I wasted my time all day today and I will not be doing so again. 
They don't need the Lib Dems to fight with: they'll do it by themselves.

No comments: